This is a guide on how to choose the right size for adult pampers. If you have been searching online or through different websites, you might have seen that there are so many different sizes of adult pampers available in the market. However, it can be quite confusing for a person who does not know how to choose the right size for adult pampers.
Adult pampers are different from infant ones because they have a bigger capacity and you might need to wear them for longer periods of time as well as at night. In order to avoid surprises, it is advisable that you know what the correct size adult diaper should be.
In this article, we will share how adult pampers can help with urinary incontinence and how one can find out which adult diaper suits him or her. We will also discuss which size of adult diaper will be suitable for you, as well as why you need to know it.
Understanding adult pampers
Adult pampers are the cloth or disposable kind that help control your body’s waste. Your choice of diapers depends on three factors: (1) how often you need to wear them, (2) the volume of your waste and (3) whether they are leak-proof or not.
Adult pampers are used by people who have had certain medical conditions, including incontinence. These are the ones that are made to protect you from incontinence problems.
Moreover, they are also called “adult pampers” because these are worn by men and women of all ages. However, there are some types that are meant for adults only. To find out which type is best for you, let’s take a look at the different factors to consider when choosing the right size.
1) How often you need to wear them
The frequency in which you will be wearing your adult pampers depends on the following aspects: (1) how old you are, (2) the volume of your waste and (3) how leak-proof they are.
Adult pampers that are worn for a few hours every day will help in keeping the skin dry and will prevent it from getting irritated. Also, although these may not be as comfortable as other types, they can also help a lot in preventing a problem from getting worse.
Larger adult pampers may cause a problem because they can prevent you from moving around as usual. Also, the leakage that may occur when you exceed the capacity of these will require a change in your clothing as well as wet wipes to clean yourself up.
Smaller adult pampers may cause problems because they will not give you enough coverage. Hence, it’s important that they are sized appropriately to fit you given the frequency of putting them on.
2) Volume of your waste
The size of the adult pampers depends on how much volume you have. If you have a very large amount of waste, then it is best to go for larger adult pampers that will be able to hold it until laundry day. However, this may not be possible if they are too bulky for your everyday wear. It’s also important that the adult diaper fits well so that you don’t experience leaks or discomfort when wearing it.
Getting larger adult pampers may also require the use of adult incontinence pads. These can be worn under your regular underwear or pants, but you should still make sure that the size is appropriate for you.
Smaller adult pampers may be used to hold a lesser amount of waste. However, if you have a large quantity of waste, it’s best to go for a larger size adult diaper so that it can hold more.
3) How leak-proof they are
Leak-proof adult diapers are those that do not allow any type of leakage from the time they are put on until the time they are taken off. If your adult diaper does not give you enough coverage and cause uncomfortable moments while wearing them, then they are not leak-proof.
Since adult pampers are designed to protect your skin from being irritated, it’s important that you choose the right size so that it won’t cause any problem while wearing it.
Preferably, adult pampers should be sized based on your height and weight because these factors will determine how much capacity of waste each diaper can hold. For instance, if you are between the sizes of small and medium, you will need a diaper that is sized as per small.
What happens if a diaper is too tight?
Breaks and tears
- Too-small diapers are at danger of ripping. Typically, rips develop around the legs or waist, resulting in leaking. If the rip or break is significant enough, it may cut into the wearer’s flesh, rendering the product untrustworthy and even deadly.
- If the tabs on your child’s diaper tear when you put it on, your product is probably too small (or, you may be pulling the tab too tightly).
- Tight-fitting diapers sit too near to the skin, increasing the risk of sensitive skin responses from any scents or colours in the diaper material.
- The most common issue with adult incontinence is the risk of diaper rash. Tight-fitting diapers can chafe and are likely to trap moisture and heat, which may irritate or damage skin. Unfortunately, diaper rash and sores are often a result of this avoidable issue.
Restriction of blood flow
- Too-small diapers can restrict blood flow and cause substantial pain, especially in males. Tingling, numbness, and muscular cramping might result from restricted blood flow. Continued usage of small diaper sizes may cause nerve or tissue damage, as well as other major health issues.
A diaper that leaves indentations around the legs or waist may indicate that you should size up. If you see redness around the groin, this might be an indication of a too-tight product. However, before switching sizes, check to see whether you can make modifications to diapers with tabs.
What happens if a diaper is too loose?
- The excess material from an oversize diaper needs to go someplace, and it usually ends up around the buttocks. You may also notice that the waist sags, causing issues with diaper movement and rustling sounds.
Accidental and unwanted leakage
- The most serious problem with wearing too-large diapers is leaking. If a diaper is not securely fastened around the leg opening, fluids will seep out the sides. You may also notice leakage around the waistline if your loved one is bedridden. Even though the diaper has a great absorption capacity, it will only be beneficial if the liquid does not leak and is completely absorbed by the material.
- Skin irritation or scrapes can occur when excess material accumulates in bunches, particularly around the waist. Furthermore, bunching around the legs can cause the cloth to squeeze the skin, resulting in chafing or blisters. If you have redness or rashes around your inner thigh, this is an indication that you are wearing a product that is too big for you.
The most obvious indicator that a diaper is overly big is when it sticks from your garments or when you have a lot of tightly packed cloth around your legs or waist. A well-fitting diaper with tabs will keep the core against the body.
The tabs on tab-style items should rest on the front of the hips; if you have to pull the tabs firmly in the center of the abdomen, they’re too tight. The easiest way to stop this is to go down one size or two to achieve a better diaper fit which can adequately absorb fluids.
1) If you have a lot of extra loose skin, you will need diapers with more volume.
2) If you have a lot of extra fat on your thighs and backside, try getting larger diapers that cover the thighs and backside better. You may also want to get smaller diapers for the parts that are not as saggy. For example, if your waist is small but your belly is big, consider getting smaller ones for the tummy area and bigger ones for the waistband.
3) If you have extra big labia (the lips on the outside of your vagina), you will need more volume.
4) If you have extra long legs, get larger diapers with more length. If you are petite, go for the shorter ones.
5) If you have extra big hips, make sure the diaper covers them well. If you have a long torso and short legs, consider going for the smaller size with a shorter rise to keep everything in place.
6) If your bladder is small, try getting smaller diapers that cover more of your waist. Keep in mind that this might mean that your incontinence pad will need to be bigger as well as longer. In other words, if your diaper doesn’t fit well enough, your pad will be even bigger.
Adult pampers are the perfect solution to help you maintain your hygiene during those times when you are unable to go to the restroom. They can be worn for a few hours or overnight, depending on how active you are.
Choosing the right size for adult pampers is very important so that they will not cause any discomfort while being worn. At Absorba Diaper, we are the leading distributor of adult diapers in Singapore with a wide selection of eco-friendly and ultra soft diapers catered to your every need. We can help you or your loved ones overcome urinary incontinence together and live your life to the fullest!
Still unsure of which adult diaper is the most suitable? Drop us an enquiry today to find out more!